by Casey Durrett, LEI – Social Media Director and National Educator, SkinPhD
I am often asked if an effective product for the improvement of cellulite really exists. My goal for this blog is to answer that question with a resounding “Yes!” Cellulite, when understood and properly managed, can be significantly improved, and SkinPhD Cellulite Control is the last cellulite reducing product you’ll need to try.
Let me warn you in advance! Cellulite is not to be explained or understood in only a few words. There are complex mechanisms involved and a multitude of factors that culminate in that much dreaded term that keeps so many women from wearing shorts or bathing suits! So, with that duly noted, grab a glass of water, take a deep breath, clear your mind, and let’s now move on to what cellulite is, where this whole beauty-disrupting creature comes from, and what SkinPhD Cellulite Control can do about it.
What is Cellulite?
Cellulite is a collection of fat cells found just beneath the surface of the skin skin. As these fat cells enlarge, they push upward on the skin which sits directly above them. With decreasing circulatory function in the tissues, fibrous strands (septa) that hold the skin together become less elastic and more fibrous and pull downward on the skin. The combination of fat cells pushing upwards against the skin while septa are pulling downward on the skin creates the dimpled, lumpy, “cottage cheese” texture on the skin’s surface.
To get a mental picture of what is happening, imagine a decorative pillow with a button in the center. As the button is sewn into the fabric, the thread is pulling down on the pillow’s surface, while the stuffing inside the pillow is pushing upward.
What Causes Cellulite?
- Excess fat in the superficial fat cells is directly related to the visibility of cellulite. Because the body does not burn superficial fat (fat that is very near the skin’s surface) for energy, it is very difficult to rid the superficial fat cells of excess fat through diet and exercise.
- Decreased blood and lymphatic circulation lead to a stiffening of the septa. This decreased circulatory function leads to a lack of nutrient delivery in the tissues and also leaves behind large volumes of toxins that need to be eliminated.
- Increased fluid retention results from decreased circulatory function. This creates an imbalance in the tissue that results in swelling and pressure and finally leads to the fibrous tissue (septa) becoming thicker and squeezing fat cells such that the lumps and bumps associated with cellulite are visible.
- Hormones, aging, genetics, and nutrition may all play a role in the development of cellulite.
How to Improve the Appearance of Cellulite
- Increase Lipolysis – Lipolysis refers to the breaking down of lipids (fats). To truly improve cellulite conditions, excessive fats in the superficial fat cells must be removed.
- Reduce Fat Cell Differentiation (Adipocyte Differentiation) – Fat cell differentiation refers to the process of a fibroblast undergoing changes that cause it to evolve into a fat cell (adipocyte).
- Improve Circulation – Beneficial nutrients are delivered and harmful toxins are taken away through circulation. Circulation may be improved through massage and with topical ingredients that stimulate circulation.
- Reduce Water Retention – Reducing water retention in the tissue alleviates pressure and swelling and allows for improved circulation, nutrient delivery, and detoxification.
- Detoxify Tissues – Removing harmful, toxic materials allows for a return to a natural and balanced environment in the tissues.
How far are you into that glass of water?
Alright, stay hydrated. We’ve gotten past the “deep” part, and we’ll now shift into:
Topical Ingredients That Improve Cellulite
Glaucine (Glaucium Flavum)
Glaucine is a derivative of the yellow poppy plant and may also be synthetically derived. Glaucine is a powerhouse ingredient in the reduction of cellulite. Glaucine addresses some of the most important areas of any anti-cellulite regimen including:
- Encourages fat cells to release fat (lipolysis)
- Discourages growth of new fat cells from fibroblasts (remember fat cell differentiation?)
- Encourages fat cells to revert back to a stem cell type and then re-evolve into a collagen cell (re-differentiation). Now this is absolutely stunning! Glaucine can promote a change in fat cells that eventually leads to an increase in collagen cells!
- Increases firmness (because of the activities listed directly above)
- Reduces water retention
- Anti-inflammatory properties
The particular Glaucine component in SkinPhD Cellulite control has been shown to improve skin roughness by up to 43% and improve cellulite aspect by up to 35% in 56 days of twice daily applications.
Skin firmness has been shown to improve up to 20% within 28 days of twice daily applications.
These benefits along with the others listed above and combined with our other choice ingredients (to be discussed below) make for an optimal cellulite improvement product with extremely visible results.
Ginger and Capsaicin
Ginger is a plant with antioxidant, toning, and revitalizing properties. It also functions to boost circulation – a much needed function in any anti-cellulite regimen.
Capsaicin is an active component of chili peppers. Capsaicin has a warming and anti-inflammatory effect on the skin. Capsaicin also works to increase blood flow.
Studies on the Ginger and Capsaicin complex used in SkinPhD Cellulite Control show that after only 10 minutes of application (of no more than 1% of the complex), blood circulation is increased by a factor of 5 compared to that of placebo.
Arnica is a flower extract that possesses stimulating, anti-inflammatory, and capillary dilating properties. It is also known for its wound-healing effects.
Yerba Mate and Green Coffee
Yerba Mate (Ilex Paraguaiensis) is a plant found inSouth America. Yerba Mate contains a complex, natural balance of natural detoxifying agents, antioxidants, and diuretics making it an obvious choice ingredient for the reduction of the appearance of cellulite.
Green coffee contains an antioxidant (chlorogenic acid) that inhibits lipid (fat) storage and activates an enzyme that stimulates lipid metabolism. Green coffee also functions as a draining agent for the tissues.
Studies on the Yerba Mate and Green Coffee complex used in SkinPhD Cellulite Control show the following:
- Increased lipid metabolism (+170%)
- Decrease in lipid transfer (-33%)
- Decrease in thigh volume and perimeter of -10% after 2 months of use
Now, let’s put it all in simpler terms…
The search for a powerful anti-cellulite product is over!
SkinPhD Cellulite Control is formulated to work. Fighting back against the appearance of cellulite is no easy task, and it requires more than a healthy diet and exercise. It is necessary to address each factor in the appearance of cellulite, and this is why SkinPhD Cellulite Control stands out amongst other anti-cellulite products as a viable option for cellulite reduction.
Consumers are wary of cellulite reducing products and understandably so. No one enjoys paying for something that leads to disappointment, and this is why I’ve gone to such lengths to provide information on what sets our Cellulite Control product apart from the rest.
Yes, there is a cellulite reducing product that works and delivers visible results in a short period of time!
It’s called SkinPhD Cellulite Control, and I just can’t wait for you to see the improvement!
Until next time, here’s to firmer, smoother, bathing-suit-ready skin!
For more information on SkinPhD Cellulite Control or our other products, ingredients, and signature therapies, please visit www.skinphd.com.